Sunday, October 20, 2013

Book Review

Review: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea By April Genevieve Tucholke
Title: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Author: April Genevieve Tucholke
Series: Between
Book #: 1
Pages: 360
Book Rating:
Goodreads Rating: 3.69
Published: August 15th 2013

You stop fearing the devil when you’re holding his hand…

Nothing much exciting rolls through Violet White’s sleepy, seaside town… until River West comes along. River rents the guest house behind Violet’s crumbling estate, and as eerie, grim things start to happen, Violet begins to wonder about the boy living in her backyard. 
Is River just a crooked-smiling liar with pretty eyes and a mysterious past? Or could he be something more?
Violet’s grandmother always warned her about the Devil, but she never said he could be a dark-haired boy who takes naps in the sun, who likes coffee, who kisses you in a cemetery... who makes you want to kiss back. 
Violet’s already so knee-deep in love, she can’t see straight. And that’s just how River likes it.
Blending faded decadence and the thrilling dread of gothic horror, April Genevieve Tucholke weaves a dreamy, twisting contemporary romance, as gorgeously told as it is terrifying—a debut to watch.





Ok so first things first, I loved the cover of this book! When I first read the description I fell in love with it because this book was kind of different from the other YA books. This book was a gothic horror, that had a very old mansions (which contained many mysteries), and a mysterious hot boy. I loved the characters they were so unique. Violet was never that interest in boys, she was shy and intelligent, and she sometimes was kind of a daredevil. Luke was by far my favorite character, he kind of reminds me of my own brother. At first Luke was a character that you just did NOT like and who you got annoyed by. But at the end he was so sweet and protective that you just forgot that he is a jerk. I really didn't like Sunshine she was kind of just there. River was sweet but at the same time mysterious and a little bit of evil. What bothered me greatly was how sweet and intelligent Violet fell for him and didn't question him. Who let's a boy move to their guest house without asking a few questions first? I hated that it was obvious that there was something wrong about River but Violet ignored it because the pretty boy would tell her something sweet. I thought Violet was better than to fall for that.

 photo Gravity-Falls-Gifs-gravity-falls-31887782-500-295.gif
(this is how I saw Violet and River, there was something obviously wrong with River but Violet ignored it.)

I finished this book in two days seriously. I just couldn't put it down. And the only reason was because I wanted to know what was wrong with River. And let me tell you my face when I found out was like this....
So that's not what I had expected. And truthfully I think it was a stupid name what his powers were called haha. I don't want to talk much about it because I don't want to ruin it for others. Anyways I thought the author could have come up with something more creative. So I think I will totally read the second book just to see what happens with River and his brothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment