Monday, March 19, 2012

The Hunger Games

Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Title: The Hunger Games
Series: The Hunger Games Trilogy
Book #: 1
Pages: 384
Author: Suzanne Collins
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Rating:Photobucket






In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games," a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed.

My Thoughts:
This book was awesome! Suzanne Collins writes in such a way that you are immediately drawn into the story. It feels like you are actually inside the story. What I like about "The Hunger Games" is that the plot is original. It's not your typical-shy girl meets bad boy, bad boy falls in love with shy girl-story. Katniss is a strong independent girl that has suffered in district 12. She has to act older than any other girl her age, because she needs to take care of her little sister Primrose. Katniss is responsible for bringing food to the house. And so she learns how to hunt, although hunting is prohibited and if they find her the punishment is death.
You can't help but love Katniss, especially when she immediately volunteers as tribute in "The Hunger Games" to save her sister from walking to her death. You know who Katniss reminds me of? She reminds me of Rose from "Vampire Academy". They are both stubborn and willingly to die for those they love.
Now my thoughts of "The Hunger Games" was that it was barbaric. How could they do that to the kids? But it was also kind of epic."The Hunger Games" was a game were kids fighted each other till death to survive. I like how the games was well described, I founded myself many times to absorved in the games that I would flinch when a crazy thing would happen(for example the fire balls).
This book is filled with action, gore, and romance. I love Peeta! He is shy, stubborn, and loyal. I wasn't that big of a fan of Gale. I don't know he seemed to perfect for me and so I don't think it would have worked out with Katniss. Now Peeta he was also clumsy and there was something about him that just screamed cute! So I found him perfect for Katniss, especially because he was protective of her and wanted her to win the games even if he had to die in the process.
Overall this book was badass! So don't hesitate to read it (like me) because you are missing the awesomeness of a great well written book.

No comments:

Post a Comment