Saturday, October 6, 2012

Dangerous Boy

Review: Dangerous Boy By Mandy Hubbard

Dangerous Boy
Title: Dangerous Boy
Author: Mandy Hubbard

Pages: 262
Publisher: Razorbill
Publication Date: August 30, 2012

Rating: Photobucket

A modern-day retelling of The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde with a chilling twist Harper has never been worried about falling in love, something she is skeptical even exists. But everything changes when Logan moves to town, and to Harper's shock, the two tumble into an intense romance. It's everything she never thought she wanted.
Then she meets Logan's twin brother, Caleb, who was expelled from his last school. True, he's a bad boy, but Harper can't shake the feeling that there's something deeply sinister about him--something dangerous. When Logan starts pulling away, Harper is convinced that Caleb's shadowy past is the wedge being driven between them. But by the time she uncovers the truth, it may be too late.
The author of Prada & PrejudiceYou Wish, and Ripple delivers a modern-day retelling of a famously gothic tale, full of suspense, lies, and romance.



My Thoughts:
 My initial reaction to this book when I finished it reading was that of EXTREME shock. And why is that? Well because I had never read The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and so I had no clue how this book would have ended. I know how stupid of me for not knowing Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde right? But I was actually grateful of my ignorance, because if I had known what would have happened I would have NOT read the book. You see I have mixed feeling for this book, I am not sure if I like it or not. When I read the prologue it captured my attention and I started to read the book fast. At the beginning there was a great sense of mystery that had you turning the pages non-stop. With dead birds appearing, stop signs being stolen, and red bloody hand prints appearing in the windows of the cars at school there was that sense to find who it was responsible for all of this. But then as I kept reading I ran into a big concrete wall. I started to get bored and impatient, the story seemed to be dragging on forever. When Logan wasn't being suspicious the book was filled with "Let's help Harper get over her fears" moments. And her fears were not even that scary. The characters didn't come to live for me. To be truthful I thought that they were just character that were there to take up space. There's also the fact that I didn't like when everyone was telling Harper to call the police and she ignored them. It was like if she was asking to be abducted. And lastly, I didn't like the ending. I guess I didn't like it because I am a sucker for romance and this book did not have it. At the end it feels like Harper doesn't like Bick, in fact I don't think they belong to one another. Is it bad that I wanted Bick to end up with the mean bee queen of the school? Overall it was a good book it's just that I don't know how I feel about it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment