Tuesday, January 2, 2018

New Year, New Me...Kinda

Hello everyone,

So my first year as a teacher is going great...kinda. There has been a few bumps here and there that have made me question whether I really want to be a teacher or not. I assume every new teacher goes though that. It's a good thing that I have an amazing group of friends (all of us are English teachers who got recently hired! Yay!) who are very understanding. I can always go to them for advice, success stories, or to rant and cry. Without them I probably wouldn't be where I am right now.

Because of their support and because I know not every first year teacher has the same support system as I do, I decided to change my blog a bit. I want to use my blog as a place for other teachers to give and seek advice. And also to just share ideas and resources. I am a great believer in sharing knowledge and ideas that work and not just keeping it to yourself because you want to be the only best teacher at your campus. Teaching should be fundamentally about wanting every single kid to pass, whether that student is yours or not.

When I first started blogging it was to review books and as a hobby for my deep love of literature. Unfortunately that had to stop because I was so busy with my job all the time. It wasn't until recently that a teacher gave me a great advice, "Don't let your life be only about teaching or it will make you miserable, you need to find hobbies that you like to keep yourself sane". I realized that reading has always been my passion and I need to start enjoying it more. So to conclude my little update, I just want to say that I will try my best to post more book reviews, teacher printables, and teacher discussions.

1 comment:

  1. I'm in my fifth year of teaching, and last year I decided I need to leave. It is more detrimental to me than a job should be for those same reasons. I wear other hats besides classroom teacher (with no time to do those jobs) and I am at school until 7-9 most nights, and stay until 11-11:30 once a week. My first year, one of the assistant principals told me her career didn't get better until year 8. I can't do that. I am glad you have a great support network and I totally agree about sharing your resources and strategies. It's a great thing to help other teachers help their kids. Good luck in 2018!

    ReplyDelete